WE HAVE MOVED! If you are joining us, please join us at our new home, The Coil, over on Medium.



About Volt Current Spark Inductor Beam Turbine Motor Transmitter
Frequency Signal Electromagnet Naked Lunch Menu DaguerreoTyped On:Topic
The Last Thing I Loved Alternate Histories Dear Sparky On This Day Indie Book Radar

11.02.2015


Shelfie: An Ongoing Exploration of Workspaces
SARA LEVINE


Years ago I picked up a desk at a university surplus sale, a heavy oak monstrosity whose surface I promptly ruined by painting it with multicolor stripes. I wanted it to look like a Markus Linnenbrink painting.

Here is the desk I’m at today, or anyway some days. I think of it as minimalist, but now that I’ve snapped a picture, I see that the bulletin board is cluttered with novel-related notes. And all the best books are hiding behind the white sliding doors of the cupboard.




I must be a forgetful person because a lot of what’s here is a reminder.

The vintage beach sign (“DO NOT TALK TO LIFEGUARD”) reminds me not to engage with certain voices. (The usual head-bound crew of jerks, the ones who say, “That’s terrible; that’s stupid; you’re too slow.”) My daughter’s drawing—how to create a sea horse in 6 steps—reminds me that even a large task can be broken down. And the Hermes 3000 typewriter reminds me to get off the Internet and to let my writing make a sound.




I’ve also included a close-up of my Mastercrafters clock. The little world lights up; the clock ticks; the girl on the swing moves! Of course, sometimes the ticking drives me crazy. Then I unplug her or leave the room and move to the couch. Truth be told, there are many days I prefer not to work in an upright position.







SARA LEVINE lives in Chicago. She has a BA in English from Northwestern University and a PhD in English and American Literature from Brown University. She has taught in the MFA in Nonfiction Writing program at the University of Iowa and is now a professor in the Writing Program at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.


• Authors receive ~80% of your tip, after necessary transaction and administrative fees. Even small change makes a difference. • Permalink • Tag: The Signal

No comments: